Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] RE: Anaheim

Moore, Steven, M.D. Steven.Moore@cshs.org
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:54:57 -0700

The place was jam packed.  The House of Blues in Anaheim probably
accomodates about 600-700 people and it was definitely standing room only,
completely sold out, a good sign of the respone to the Oils playing HITS.
Peter did comment on the situation in Afghanistan and "maximum losses for
the guilty", also mentioned hoping that innocent lives would be spared and
the innocent would wake in the morning, or something to that affect.  He
mentioned that they were a bit jet-lagged and also commented on how odd it
was to basically be playing at Disneyland, with bass riffs drifting out of
speakers hidden in plastic trees.  Also let everyone know that family and
life in general has kept them away for a while, but assured everyone they
had been busy playing clubs and making new music. The crowd was intense and,
at least up front where a bunch of Powderworkers were, we did indeed have a
group of drunken yobbos.  I think we all fully understand the term now.
These guys were local bodysurfers, drunk, obnoxious, and basically shoving
everyone around up front trying to trade shirts with Peter.  Peter wore the
black t-shirt with the aboriginal design underneath a couple other shirts,
but the yobbos didn't seem to have any idea about the significance of his
aboriginal shirt at all.  They were a bit self-obsessed with their body
surfing club.

About the show (the important stuff),
Will Hoge opened.  They are from Nashville, and self-described as "stupid
Southerners" who will have dueling accents while on tour with the
Australians, in an attempt to see who can understand the other's speech the
least.  About the music, not much to say, not great, not horrible.
Effectively prepared our ears for the sonic explosion to come.  I will wear
earplugs for the rest of the shows.

The set list I remember is sure to be somewhat incomplete, maybe others at
the show can fill in anything I left off.  Started with Redneck Wonderland
-- I knew we were in for something special.  The remainder of the list as
follows:

Too Much Sunshine (new one)
1 or 2 more songs

Switch to small kit up front for a number of songs including Beds
Truganini
Bullroarer
Golden Age
Short Memory
Blue Sky
Dead Heart
New song (?Luritja Way)- with Bones singing
King of the Mountain
One Country
a few others
Finished the set with Hercules

Oncore:
Power and the Passion
new one ?Tone Poem
Read About It

As I mentioned, some of this may be a bit off.  It's been a long time in
coming and a bit tough to remember all the details.  The guys seemed to be
having fun, though a bit tired (possibly jet-lagged as previously
mentioned).  All told it was a great show and an excellent beginning for the
tour.  As soon as the show ended the curtains were drawn and I don't think
anyone managed to get a setlist.  Merchandise was available, 2 different
black shirts, 1 with Peter in sunglasses on the front, the other with the
cow's head and Golden Age on front, both with tour dates on back.
Additionally beanies and hats.  Shirts were $30, hats $28, beanies $25;
what's the usual cost for merchandise in Australia?  It was great to meet a
bunch of Powderworkers (congrats, Brian on catching the drumstick) and I
can't wait for the next several nights in LA.

Later,

Steven