Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] appropriate songs

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:14:10 EDT

--part1_3e.12523d1c.28ebc062_boundary

In a message dated 10/1/2001 11:58:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tdav@wam.umd.edu writes:

> Feh. Trying to shift the emphasis so that all the onus for change falls on
> one side or the other is pointless, and indeed contrary to the message of
> the song. Everyone -- the terrorists and the US included -- needs to put
> down their weapons. It's not like the US doesn't kill innocent victims.
>
> And of course, those of us who live in America can do more to change the
> behavior of the US than to change the behavior of foreign terrorists. So
> it's up to us in particular to get the US to put down its weapons.
>
> -Tom (not an absolute pacifist, but very scared of what might result from
> a violent US response right now)

I gather by your e-mail address that you are possibly either a student or an
educator at an American university (U of Maryland, perhaps?).  At any rate, I
find this interesting because in the new U. S. News and World Report John
Leo's "On Society" column deals with the fact that the  prevailing attitude
on U. S. campuses toward the WTC/Pentagon tragedies is that basically
"America had it coming."
I'm not saying this is how you feel, but you do seem to be more concerned
with the potential victims in a U. S. campaign against terrorism than you are
for those who have suffered so much already in this country.  I'm not in
favor of an indiscriminate campaign against terrorism where we just start
letting the bombs drop killing innocent people, and from what we've seen so
far the government appears to be using restraint in trying to get to those
who perpetrated these horrible acts.  Hell the
average guy on the ground in Afghanistan is probably hoping we do something,
are
you aware of how they are suffering under the Taliban?
Yes it would truly be wonderful if we could all agree to "put down our
weapons" and live in peace.  But I just can't get over the feeling that these
terrorists just don't want any part of that, and it's up to somebody to stop
them.  As Leo says in his article:
"fostering humanity means stopping people who kill."

--part1_3e.12523d1c.28ebc062_boundary