Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] The Tribute Album - my 2p

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:39:10 +0000 (GMT)

Folks,

Got the tribute album from Whammo the other day (plug: they were damn
quick and a good price! Recommended) and I've been listening to it a fair
bit since then. In fact, I bought Neil Finn's 7 Worlds Collide live album
the same day, and I surprised myself by dumping Neil in favour of
listening to this one.

First impressions were surprisingly good. I had expected to approach the
album with a certain amount of cynicism - after all, who could play Oils
tracks better than the Oils. I'd also heard a few criticisms from the list
which made me question how good the album could be. But I reckon this
album is an absolute stormer.

I know a few people have questioned Regurgitator's version of Stand In
Line, but I have to say that I find it good. Power and the Passion is also
very good. I find I prefer the songs that the most effort has been taken
to re-interpret - Power And The Passion is very good, as is Beds Are
Burning. I do notice a certain rock bent to the album at times - but
that's possibly a symbol of who the Oils have influenced over the years.

I don't want to go into a track by track analysis, but I will leave it at
this - if you're debating whether or not to buy this (as I was for a
while) then my personal recomendation is that you buy it now. Definitely
worth the money (cost me less to get it sent to Northern Ireland than it
cost for me to walk into Belfast and buy the afore-mentioned Neil Finn
album!)

And just in case any of them happen to be on here - cheers to all the
bands who played on the tribute album - great stuff!

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly@deadheart.org.uk