Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: This Day in History

James A. Smith jasmith@cim.mcgill.ca
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:57:11 -0500 (EST)

Alright, I woke up this morning to Bob Johnstone's "Today in
History" radio segment and thought that it was kinda cute.  You can hear
it today in RealAudio at http://cbc.ca/news-audio/columns/johnstone.ram
(it'll change to a new segment tomorrow).

The story is a funny one about a Canadian rower, Ned Hanlan, who
eventually kicks some Aussie butt at a rowing match in England.  So many
Australians lost money (millions) in the betting that a committee had to
be formed to figure out a way to get them home again.  The match was so
good that the American media claimed it to be the greatest sporting
performance of the century by an American.

Anyways, it's a cute radio piece.  If you're really interested, it seems
that their was a movie made about it staring Nicholas Cage
(http://members.aol.com/eursin/films/82-90/blue.htm) called the Boy in
Blue.

As for a little Oils content (I don't think that I posted this earlier),
my pictures from the Montreal and Toronto shows were finally
developed.  Got some good shots of fellow 'workers and the shot of me in
Rob's drum turned out well (Thanks Indi!).  I'll scan them in at some
point and will post them on my website.

-James