Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Boston Gig 11/3

Jeff Emidy balki@webgather.com
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:17:05 -0500

Howdy Workers:
   I thought I might post some additional info on last weekend's Boston gig.

   First, I must agree that the Oils went off! Even when I was taking
time to intentionally break the flash on my piece-of-junk cardboard
camera, the tunes were great.
   Got to meet some Workers for the first time: Nina (I was in red,
Justin in grey. My tattoo is the southern cross, his is the redneck
'roo), Pete (finally!!), the aforementioned Justin, Goose (sporting the
old school Powderworks 'matches' T) & Elizabeth, Jess, Chris Nelson and
the Kings of Metal shirt guy who didn't introduce himself. Also got to
re-aquaint with Jon & Sena, and Martin. Didn't meet Mike/Mark from
Oakland (I was in Mapleville today). Sorry if I forgot anyone.
   Anyway. The first great thing about the show was that the Superjesus
album, Jet Age, was playing over the house system when we walked in.
Awesome! I've loved the album since I picked it up in Oz. Thanks Olivier.
   Will Hoag/Hoge was really pretty good. Better than I expected. I
heard mixed opinions from those around me.
   Oils came out cranked! Very high intensity, as usual. As I waited and
waited for Rob to use the corrugated culvert pipe, they ripped out a
great set.  They included my favourite, King of the Mountain, about
which I was stoked. No Time For Games was great, too. Oh, everything was
great.
   Can someone tell me what the night's paper airplane said? Pete didn't
seem particularly enthused when he finally spotted it sitting near the
monitors. Also, what did the sign scribbled on a Guiness flat say?
   Funny shoes and pigeon sign were on stage.

   After the show, hung around to see the guys. Saw Bones briefly, and
got a chance to talk briefly with Rob one-on-one. We discussed his
Backsliders show at the Basement, in Sydney. I asked why it was taped.
He said that ABC is going to use it for some special, and that it's
probably in production back home right now. So, Olivier and LouLou, be
on the lookout. You must get a tape of that show for me! I don't care
about the format. Rob seemed really jazzed that I saw and liked the
Backsliders gig.

   Guess that's it. Most everything has been covered previously.

   Ever Forward ==>

   Balki
   Space Ranger First Class