Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Tribute Album

James A. Smith jasmith@cim.mcgill.ca
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:46:24 -0500 (EST)

Got the tribute album last night.  First thoughts?  Overall, it's pretty
good.  Got to agree about the earlier comment on Regurgitators' version of
Stand in Line: it's really good as long as you're not looking for a
duplicate of the original song.  Something for Kate's version of
Dreamworld is close to the original.  The Superjesus' version of Short
Memory is growing on me.

Read about it is a little boppy.  Fun overall.  Grimspoon's Don't Wanna be
the One is another fun song.

I love how Jebediah open When the Generals Talk.  There's urgency in the
vocals and the instruments throughout.  Love it.

My fiancee, Michelle, figures that Skulker's Forgotten Years is better
than the original.  Personally, I really like that track, the vocals are
pretty but miss a lot of the emotion of the original.

David Mccormack's version of Power and the Passion is ... well, just
bad.  He sings about as well as I do -- so something that should only be
done in a shower.  It doesn't help that I've only listened to it with
headphones on so I can hear the strain in his voice clearly.  I think that
I'll have to burn a copy of the CD without this song on it.  "At least you
won't have time to be bored"... augh...  An instrumental would have been
interesting.

later, skaters!

James