Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Band to play on

Marty Lawson martylawson at optushome.com.au
Sun Jan 23 01:39:10 MST 2005

Band to play on

By Peter Holmes
January 23, 2005
From: The Sunday Telegraph

LEGENDARY Australian band Midnight Oil may keep playing after the Waveaid
tsunami benefit concert at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday, with or
without singer Peter Garrett.
The Oils - with the electrifying Garrett out front - will perform before
47,000 people at the sold-out Waveaid.

When Garrett quit Midnight Oil in late 2002 to pursue a political career,
followed by bassist Bones Hillman, Oils fans assumed it was the end.

However, Midnight Oil have never officially split.

A new biography by Midnight Oil associate Mark Dodshon claims remaining band
members Rob Hirst, Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey have continued working
together: "Rob and Jim and Martin are still members of Midnight Oil, and
have written, rehearsed and recorded new material. So there may or may not
be another CD before the distinctive Midnight Oil board is finally pulled
onto the beach."

Whether Garrett and Hillman would contribute remains unknown.

Midnight Oil's last gig was at Tweed Heads in late 2002.

Garrett considered quitting Midnight Oil several times over the years. But,
when he finally did, his bandmates refused to follow.

"I wouldn't say I felt guilty, but I certainly felt a sense of
responsibility," Garrett told The Sunday Telegraph last year. "I realised
not everyone would be happy with the decision."

Before agreeing to perform at Waveaid, Midnight Oil faced pressure from fans
to undertake a farewell tour with Garrett and Hillman.

However, band members felt it would incorrectly signal the end of Midnight
Oil.

"I'm open to some sort of farewell show or celebration somewhere down the
track, if that's what people wanted to do," Garrett said last year.

"It's really up to the guys. People are taking time to think through whether
they want to do it, but I've always had my hand up."

  _____