Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Garrett shrugs off celebrity status

Nathan Arrowsmith nathan at nathanarrowsmith.com
Sat Sep 11 00:41:20 MDT 2004

Garrett shrugs off celebrity status
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/11/1094789724846.html

Former Midnight Oil frontman and federal Labor candidate Peter Garrett
visited the trendy latte suburb of New Farm today, urging punters to
take him seriously.

Mr Garrett, who was the rock band's lead singer for 26 years and is now
the federal Labor candidate for the Sydney seat of Kingsford-Smith,
dismissed claims that entertainment celebrities did not fare well in the
political arena.

"I don't see myself as a celebrity candidate. I see myself as a serious
candidate," Mr Garrett told journalists during a meet and greet with
Labor MP Arch Bevis at the James Street markets in Brisbane's inner city.

"I've had 25 years in public life or more, a strong connection with a
number of issues in this country, particularly environment [and] social
justice issues, worked strongly in the community sector and feel very
confident in the strong policy sweep that Labor brings to bear which I
can advocate."

James Belcastro, owner of the Fresh Fish Co in the marketplace, agreed
that the former Midnight Oil lead singer was "more than just a pretty
voice".
Advertisement Advertisement

"He's very much a man of the people," Mr Belcastro told AAP after Mr
Garrett and Mr Bevis had visited his store.

"He's not so much a celebrity just talking about products, he very much
stands by them. He's committed whether he's a rock star or not."

Heads turned in the busy marketplace as breakfast goers recognised the
famous face, come to support Mr Bevis who holds the Labor seat of
Brisbane on a paper-thin margin of less than one per cent.

Mr Garrett shrugged off his celebrity status, but a question about the
Queensland Government's new tough smoking bans, it rekindled memories of
his days as the rock band's lead singer.

"I always wanted to see smoking in rock venues slightly lessened over
time because it was pretty difficult to sing when all that smoke was
there," he said.

"I think here in this state it's a good solid direction in terms of
health. I applaud it."

Mr Garrett refused to comment on the bombing outside the Australian
embassy in Jakarta, telling journalists the issue was too serious for
candidates to be making "off the cuff remarks to the media".

When asked if he believed the sexual status of lesbian Liberal candidate
for Brisbane, Ingrid Tall, would damage her campaign, Mr Garrett
referred to Mr Bevis to answer.

Mr Bevis again declined to comment on the matter.