Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] forestry

Rhonda kayak at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 8 18:46:23 MDT 2004

Agreed.
I spent a bit of time in Clayoquot Sound earlier this summer - wow! what
a place - and the overwhelming majority (ok, *all*) the local residents
I spoke with were in agreement that old-growth forests are worth much
more standing than in the back of a logging truck....why the logging
industry doesn't "get" that is beyond me, plantations as you said would
provide the lumber/jobs they need plus much better PR.  Tourism
generates huge revenue for the Tofino/Ucluelet area, with a high
proportion of businesses running local kayaking, surfing,
whale-watching, rainforest hiking, aerial sightseeing, and other tours &
activities, with the big draw for all being that the Clayoquot Sound
area has the largest remaining "intact" areas of temperate coastal
old-growth rainforest on Vancouver Island....if it was all logged over,
the place wouldn't be nearly as popular.  I took an aerial sightseeing
flight and the pilot showed me a number of areas scarred by
logging....it's really jarring to see those jagged strips and entire
patches stripped bare, and downright ugly.

The Friends of Clayoquot Sound (www.focs.ca) recently announced on their
website that Interfor, the main logging company in the area, has agreed
to a 5-year moratorium on logging in two of the area's last remaining
pristine valleys, to allow time for possibly more complete protection to
be developed.  Clayoquot Sound was designated a World Biosphere Reserve
by UNESCO  in 2000, but that gives absolutely zero legal protection.

One downfall of plantations, though, is like any farmed crop - any
high-density monoculture is at a much greater risk of disease or
pestilence, which could then spread to and devastate natural areas.

Rhonda