Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC - Enemies of Sustainability

Julian Shaw (Man Myth or Monkey?) julian at monkeyfamily.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 06:12:59 MDT 2004

That is fair enough Bruce. I think people rejected most of the reasons for
other "isms" very quickly over the last few hundred year but speciesism is
probably one which will never go away. It's quite understandable really as our
very nature has taught us to do what we need to survive at the expense of
other species. It is what has led to our survival. But is it still needed now?

>===== Original Message From Bruce Robertson <the_oil_fish at yahoo.ca> =====
>It somehow seems appropriate to address this post to:
>
>Jules and my Fellow Polar Bears,
>
>Mike B. addressed most of the questions below with far more eloquence and
intelligence than I could ever muster, so I'll leave it be.

>But concerning Julian's first question:
>
>*is it ethical to put jobs before animal welfare?
>
>I would have to say yes, provided the discussion is rooted in a more-or-less
humanistic tradition. Perhaps I suffer from what Paul Theroux might have
called the "Tarzan complex" (and am too dim to care) but I tend to wind up on
the side of  loyalty to my own species first, and I'll eat anybody who
disagrees. At least most of the time, when push comes to shove.