Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More PG stuff (NMOC and actually OZ Politics by now)

Kate Parker Adams kate at dnki.net
Mon May 3 10:17:18 MDT 2004

It is called "preferential balloting" and I for one think it is preferable
to the more common system we have in the states because it allows for more
than one or two parties to field candidates and have a say in government,
particularly at the local level.  Cambridge MA uses this system, and various
malcontents in my city are pushing for it.  It is really the only sensible
thing to do in cities where most or all city councilors are elected "at
large".

For example, the last local election I voted in had nine candidtates for
seven seats on the council and 11 candidates for nine school board seats.
You can vote for up to the number of slots available.  I voted for only one
in each because otherwise my "extra" votes would compete with each other.
When trying to elect an entire council, preferential voting would provide
more information on who should and should not be in ... e.g. better reflect
the will of the people. If this system were preferential, then certain
know-nothing jerks like Councilor Penta (aka Pentinane ... a baffling and
poisonous substance that is highly reactionary yet stymies the activity of
everything it comes in contact with!) would not get in and that would be an
improvement.  Sure, he'd get his first place votes from the Archie Bunkers
that currently keep him in his office, but would sink to the bottom in a sea
of lowest preferences and have to go begging for a real job as a delivery
boy for one of the burgeoning "foreigner" restaraunts he has systematically
persecuted at licensing hearings.

Just my $0.02 ...
Kate