Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More PG stuff

David Schultz davidschultz5000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 04:32:36 MDT 2004

David,

To my Canadian ears, that sounds like a bizarre
system.
If I'm reading into this correctly, you're saying that
there cannot be a winner, at least on a
riding/constituency level, based on a plurality of the
vote (ie. whoever simply has the most votes out of X
number of candidates -your traditional
first-past-the-post system), instead the winner needs
an outright majority, based on coalitions if need be.
Does a party decide where their vote will go before
the election (that's the way it sounded by your
description), or can they decide after?

I'm also think I've read somewhere that in the Aussie
system a certain number of seats are based on the
results in ridings, while others are 'open' seats
based on overall nationwide or perhaps statewide share
of the vote (modified rep-by-pop).

Sorry, I need details, I'm a political geek.

Cheers,
Dave