Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] don't open attachment that uses my email address as sender

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly at deadheart.org.uk
Wed Mar 24 04:47:55 MST 2004

On Mar 23, lord aufbau wrote:

> Definitely dont open that attachment.  It has to be
> something bad.
>
> I haven't sent any messages to the newsgroup in over a
> year, I definitely did not send the message with the
> attachment today.  The weird thing is that I don't
> even have the newsgroup on my contacts list so I have
> no idea how that happened.  Sorry to any of you that
> opened it, I'm updating my expired antivirus software now.

Don't worry about it. It most likely wasn't you. The latest batch of
viruses (last year or two) have been sneaky in that they fake the "From: "
address to hide where it truly came from. So what has happened is that
someone who has your address, and who has the list address, has got the
virus. The virus constructed a mail, popped in the two addresses and sent
it.

For those interested in cleaning their system, the virus came from a host
called dhcp172027.rag-a.fsu.edu - anybody at Florida State University on
the list?

Cheers,

--
Maurice R. Kelly