Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] PG latest

ribman at manthey.com.au ribman at manthey.com.au
Tue Jun 8 17:43:22 MDT 2004

I suspect this is a candid camera moment.  Labour stands to lose nothing
whatsoever by mooting PG as "someone we would like to have stand for
us".  And that's all that's happened in my reading of the press.  Labour
invites, PG says nothing, Labour says we're waiting to see what PG thinks,
Labour gets lots of free and very positive publicity.  "Look how credible we
are, we want PG to stand for us".  The Liberals are stuck for a response,
because they can't bag PG too much as he appeals strongly to a specific
demographic.
I am confident that Labour numbers men know that PG is a 1% chance to
say yes, so they have only gains to make by going on and on about this.
My call is that this is Labour making easy press time and nothing else.
Riding on PG's coat-tails FOC.  Cheap.  PG's best bet (if he wants to be in
the political grinder) would be a Greens senate ticket.  Surely he would get
a seat in the shade that way, and not have to cow-tow (sinc?) to the
"politicians party line - don't cross that floor!"
As I said before, perhaps his "new project" has nothing to do with
prominent public life.  Maybe he's taking care of his wife and kids.  Good
on him if so - he's done more for the planet and society than thousands of
greedy politicians.
Maybe the future will prove me wrong.  I will applaud and support whatever
he does, but I hope he continues to choose his course himself.
manthey