Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils on SNL

Tom Giffey giffey at cvol.net
Mon Apr 5 12:46:00 MDT 2004

Hi all,

Since it doesn't seem like anyone else has mentioned it, I thought I'd let you know that the Oils (or at least Peter) got a mention on the last episode of "Saturday Night Live" (April 3). During the "Weekend Update" skit, up popped a photo of Dennis Kozlowski, the former CEO of Tyco, who was put on trial for allegedly ripping off millions of dollars from the company. Kozlowski is bald as a pool ball. Explaining that a judge declared a mistrial in the case last week, SNL cast member Jimmy Fallon said Kozlowski will now go back to his other job as lead singer of Midnight Oil. Jimmy then did a few Peter Garrett-style vocal contortions.

It was nice to see a pop-cultural reference to the Oils in the U.S., even if it did involve comparing Peter to an alleged corporate criminal!

Tom