Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Willie's Bar & Grill

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:57:06 -0400

--=======360672F3=======

--=====================_377685783==.ALT

At 06:14 PM 10/13/03 -0400, Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant wrote:
>Again, my own favorite remark about my own hometown: "This [Cleveland] is
>a town only a mother could love, what coastal Americans dismiss as
>'fly-over country'" (122).  That's just a blanket statement about
>Cleveland, the subject of his statement.  It's not a subjective
>observation from an admittedly brief observer of the town who only saw a
>small fraction of it for a couple of days.  He just says it flatly.  It
>was, as was a lot of the rest of the book, a great, big, bad conclusion,
>stated objectively, about something he knows very little about.

I have been to Cleveland several times and I have to say that I was not
impressed with it, either as a business traveller, passing through or on
private visit, or when I was there to interview and had someone actively
selling me on living there.  I'd certainly pick it over Detroit, were those
the only choices, and it's rock-and-roll history would lead it to edge out
Pittsburgh too (where I have been multiple times). Then again, I first
visited NYC in 1985 and was dumbstruck horrified and beyond overwhelmed by
the place - a perception that changed drastically by the mid-1990's.  I
haven't been to Cleveland that recently.

That said, picking on Cleveland is at best a trite joke.  While the comment
is well-stated, Rob is politely pandering to the collective sense that
Cleveland is an iconically awful city - not only sprawling, uncultured and
polluted but boring as f**k too ... all for an audience who have likely
never been and likely never will be there.  I agree with Virgil that it
isn't good writing.

Kate Parker Adams
kate@dnki.net
"She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in,
She's gonna dream out loud" - U2 (Zooropa)
go Out Of Mind ... http://www.dnki.net/blog

--=====================_377685783==.ALT

At 06:14 PM 10/13/03 -0400, Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant wrote:<br>
my own favorite remark about my own hometown: &quot;This [Cleveland] is a
town only a mother could love, what coastal Americans dismiss as
'fly-over country'&quot; (122).&nbsp; That's just a blanket statement
about Cleveland, the subject of his statement.&nbsp; It's not a
subjective observation from an admittedly brief observer of the town who
only saw a small fraction of it for a couple of days.&nbsp; He just says
it flatly.&nbsp; It was, as was a lot of the rest of the book, a great,
big, bad conclusion, stated objectively, about something he knows very
I have been to Cleveland several times and I have to say that I was not
impressed with it, either as a business traveller, passing through or on
private visit, or when I was there to interview and had someone actively
selling me on living there.&nbsp; I'd certainly pick it over Detroit,
were those the only choices, and it's rock-and-roll history would lead it
to edge out Pittsburgh too (where I have been multiple times). Then
again, I first visited NYC in 1985 and was dumbstruck horrified and
beyond overwhelmed by the place - a perception that changed drastically
by the mid-1990's.&nbsp; I haven't been to Cleveland that
recently.<br><br>
That said, picking on Cleveland is at best a trite joke.&nbsp; While the
comment is well-stated, Rob is politely pandering to the collective sense
that Cleveland is an iconically awful city - not only sprawling,
uncultured and polluted but boring as f**k too ... all for an audience
who have likely never been and likely never will be there.&nbsp; I agree
with Virgil that it isn't good writing.<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Kate Parker Adams<br>
kate@dnki.net<br>
&quot;She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in,<br>
She's gonna dream out loud&quot; - U2 (Zooropa)<br>
go Out Of Mind ...

---