Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC What's on your bookshelves?

Kate kate@dnki.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 21:02:25 -0400

Hmmmm.  Just Five?  Lemme see here ...

Guns, Germs, and Steel (Jared Diamond)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Robert Pirsig)
The Tipping Point (Malcolm Gladwell)
The Phantom Tollbooth (Norman Juster) - just read it to the kids
Silent Spring (Rachel Carson)
The Closing Circle (Barry Commoner - he's my mentor's mentor!  I first read
this at age 13)
Life After God (Doug Coupland)
The Coming Plague (Laurie Garrett - no relation to Pete, but the writer of
a now famous
         e-mail on the Davos economic summit - I recognized her and signed
her in past a
         security hassling at work last month)
A Journal of the Plague Year (Daniel Dafoe)
In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World it Made (Norman F.
Cantor)
Gulliver's Travels (Jonathan Swift)
Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (Douglas Adams) and the 4-part Hitchhiker's
Trilogy too
A Short History of Everything (latest from Bill Bryson) along with other of
his works such as
         In a Sunburned Country (US title for Down Under) and A Walk in the
Woods
The Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in American Indian Cultures
(Walter F. Williams)
The Portable Jung
The Dance of the Dissident Daughter (Sue Monk Kidd)
For Common Things (Jedediah Purdy)
Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris)
Galway Kinnell's Selected Poems
Collected Works from the Museum of Bad Art (see http://www.glyphs.com/moba/)

Other stuff AND a HELL of a lot of textbooks and environmental health
policy reports that would surely kill me were an earthquake to topple them.