Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Jim's singing

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 17:56:47 -0400

Bjorn wrote:

He may not have such a good voice as Bones and Rob, but I definitely
think it's good enough for lead vocals (although sometimes a little out
of tune). Many rock bands have lead singers worse than Jim (one example:
U2)!
Oh, I think it's a drawback for a lead singer to have too good a voice,
or worse, one with no character, like all those young semi-alternative
bands led by white tenors.  Bones and Rob both have enough "grit" to
their voices to make them interesting.

My fellow wrinklies - remembah "Trio?"  I still get that thing out once
in a while (vinyl).  They don't even pretend to sing or play, and yet
there's a kind of appendectomy-without-anesthesia charm to the whole
awful album. - Beth