Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Willie's

Jeff McLean jeffm@jeack.com.au
Tue, 13 May 2003 08:19:51 -1000

hi brig, and the powdies,

wooooow, that's a pretty harsh review of what i consider an excellent book.
 i agree that there is a fair amount of description about surrounds, but
(for mine) he didn't go into excessive detail.  i think the fact that he's
aussie and he seems to have written from an aussie perspective makes it
that more interesting for me.  i have been lucky enough to travel many
places in the world, but the states is somewhere i have only just begun to
want to visit (the wholesale sellout of australian culture to america's
culture has always bothered me, but now i'm interested to try and find the
real america...)

regarding the book itself, there are a few things that i think deserve a
mention:
- rob's use of language is excellent, and completely blows out of the water
the theory that all drummers are dipshits.  he is concise, funny, not prone
to cliche and has given me a great insight into life on a band's tour bus.
- his non-chronological book order is refreshing.  i have written a book
that is chronological to the day, and if anything i found it a bit
restrictive, but i felt i didn't have the talent to just move around at
will.  rob seems to have accomplished that effortlessly.
- rob has done his best work BY FAR in his ability to get across nuances of
thought and feelings in the band WITHOUT compromising his loyalty to his
mates, nor his integrity.  i feel we are very privileged to hear anything
at all about the band.  it is not our right, and yet the oils have been
forthcoming in so many ways over the years - patient and caring in their
dealings with their fans.  sometimes i think we (as a group) demand too
much access to the band members' thoughts and feelings (i certainly feel
"guilty" of this), so to get anything like this is a blessing.

in short, rob has done a great job, especially considering it is his first
book, and if he deigns to spew forth more verbiage, i'll be the first to
stand in line...

cheers,
joffa