Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Progress revisited+Oily guitar musings

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 6 May 2003 16:21:13 -0400 (EDT)

--0-683778559-1052252473=:20735

Greetings Powderpickers, Thanks very much to Heidi, Jeff, and others for sending the tab tips for Progess and a bunch of other cool stuff. I gave the G & L a good whoopin' last night, through 30 watts of full stereo tubed warmth, dialed in a little dirt and whammo! And you know that set the wife and bairns to howling. That sweet and  rocking little chord sequence is now permanently embedded in my badly listing brain... Funny that it's so much simpler than I would've thought. Leave it to the Oils to say it with such musical simplicity, and yet such elegance. True genius. Can't think of many other bands that can do so much with a few straight ahead chord changes - the Beatles come to mind immediately. Not to say the Oils aren't masters of the complex stuff as well - those old numbers from 10 - 1, PWAP and the like still make me want to scratch my head, take a seat, and (occasionally) break my fingers. Mostly it's the way they voice things - startlingly unexpected and beautiful. I really love Caprocornia. because of it's relative simplicity and purity. Grand band eh! cheers, bruce in calgary "it'll never get better if you keep pickin' at it!" ~ Dr. t_o_f

---------------------------------

--0-683778559-1052252473=:20735

<DIV>Greetings Powderpickers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks very much to Heidi, Jeff, and others for sending the tab tips for Progess and a bunch of other cool stuff. I gave the G &amp; L a good whoopin' last night, through 30 watts of full stereo tubed warmth, dialed in a little dirt and whammo!&nbsp;And you know that set the wife and bairns to howling.&nbsp;That sweet and &nbsp;rocking little chord&nbsp;sequence is&nbsp;now permanently embedded in my badly listing brain...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Funny that it's so much simpler than I would've thought. Leave it to the Oils to say it with such musical simplicity, and yet such elegance. True genius. Can't think of many other bands that can do&nbsp;so much with&nbsp;a few straight ahead chord changes&nbsp;- the Beatles come to mind immediately. Not to say the Oils aren't masters of the complex stuff as well - those old numbers from 10 - 1, PWAP and the like still make me want to scratch my head, take a seat, and (occasionally)&nbsp;break my fingers. Mostly it's the way they voice things - startlingly unexpected and beautiful. I really love Caprocornia. because of it's relative simplicity and purity. Grand band eh!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>cheers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>bruce in calgary</DIV>