Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Royalties

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:27:09 -0700 (PDT)

This subject has been discussed lately and I have a
probably really dumb question.  How are royalties
determined and paid?  I know that the artist gets what
ever is in the up front deal and I know that for each
item sold they get some percentage.  How is that
percentage paid?  Do they get the percentage at the
time of sale to the retailer or at the time the end
user purchases it?  At my local record store there are
a few copies of older Oils cd's, D&D, PWAP, etc.  If I
go in and buy one, does the band get their 10 cents
(or whatever it is) or have they already made the
money when Rasputin's bought it however long ago?  Or
is it a combination, 5 cents now and 5 cents later
when Randy buys it?  I'm curious.

Randy