Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Who can stand in the way?

Tom Spencer tr_espen@yahoo.com.au
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:56:54 +1100 (EST)

Dear Tim,

Salutations from 'Straylia. Thanks for the kind
remarks. It's reassuring to hear, yet again, protests
by Americans against the injustices of the US Govt.
Public interest groups such the 'MoveOn' organisation
seem to be more worthwhile at the moment.

'Who can stand in the way?' caught my attention for a
reason different to that of the capitalist critique in
the lyric. I thought the weird music at the beginning
meant that my tape player was chewing up my brand new
$20 Oils tape! Apparently the guitarist (Rotsey (?))
nailed the recording first take. The lyric is
despairing ('Well oh well, I feel I'm in decay, Johnny
Laws is on the air again'), yet hopeful ('If Christ
were here he'd camera check, he'd cry so loud the
planes would stop. He'd cry so loud the earth would
shake and men would fall in Tinsel Town. Just one
thing, just one thing...') That's the great thing
about the Oils. They state the truth baldly (no pun
intended), however horrible it is, and yet find a hope
coming through that.

Tom Spencer

> ATTACHMENT part 3.6 message/rfc822
> Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Lotsa' stuff
> To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
> From: Timothy Towns <towns@us.ibm.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:50:30 -0700
> >
> Thanks Tom.  A very nice summary and statement.
>
> As an American, I wish that our government would act
> with more integrity
> and international conscience.  Instead, I believe
> all our government's
> actions boil down to pure capitalism and it really
> doesn't matter what
> party is in power.  It's just that Mr. Bush has
> decided to be more "bold"
> and provide more decisive leadership as some of the
> super patriots here in
> the states believe (not my opinion however).
>
> "Who can stand in the way when there's a dollar to
> be made?"  -  This was
> the first MO song that really caught my attention.
>
> Take care.
>
> Tim Towns

=====
Put down that weapon, or we'll all be gone.
You must be crazy, if you think you're strong.
         - Midnight Oil

I disown any ads associated with this email.