Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: US Forces

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:56:31 -0500

--=====================_86605662==_.ALT

I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out, but I realized in a
dream last night that US Forces is cleverly written in the style of what is
sometimes called a "Jody" or military marching song.  If you pull the
guitar patterns and some of Pete's artistic license with the meter, it has
the right cadence and call-response patterns for a good mile or so of
marching single time.

Anyone else with ... um ... military exposure notice this?  Just think
about the movie Stripes and you can get the picture.

At 12:52 AM 3/16/03 -0500, Powdworker@aol.com wrote:
>Whoops, I sent this to Jeremie only, but I would like to forward it to the
>entire list!
>From: Powdworker@aol.com
>Full-name: Powdworker
>Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:39:50 EST
>Subject: Re: [Powderworks] www.midnightoil.com updated...
>To: jeremie.mandonnet@mnh.fr
>
>In a message dated 3/13/2003 4:58:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>jeremie.mandonnet@mnh.fr writes:
>

>>...infos 'bout "Anti war CD" including US Forces (talked on the list a
>>while ago)...
>>
>>Jeremie (France).
>

>Thanks for the heads up, Jeremie!
>
>Just listened to http://www.peace-not-war.org/Music/MidnightOil/index.html
>and was thinking ... WOW. This song is SO RIGHT for the world today even
>though it was written 20 years ago. And yet, if anyone tried to get it
>onto Corporate Radio today they would fail miserably -- can't offend
>anyone, yep, must have pablum only, can't take a stand. Sad, sad.
>
>Back to lurking,
>Patty in Maryland

--=====================_86605662==_.ALT

I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out, but I realized in a
dream last night that US Forces is cleverly written in the style of what
is sometimes called a &quot;Jody&quot; or military marching song.&nbsp;
If you pull the guitar patterns and some of Pete's artistic license with
the meter, it has the right cadence and call-response patterns for a good
mile or so of marching single time.<br>
Anyone else with ... um ... military exposure notice this?&nbsp; Just
think about the movie Stripes and you can get the picture.<br>
At 12:52 AM 3/16/03 -0500, Powdworker@aol.com wrote:<br>
Jeremie only, but I would like to forward it to the entire