Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Lucky Country

simon tracy plumpandmoist@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:04:34 +1000 (EST)

Lucky Country was a term coined to describe Australia
waaay back in the late 60's and 70's when Australia
was searching for and at the same time running away
from the notion of an identity (that is a whole other
story that can be discussed at endless dinner parties
as an excuse to open more wine). The thing about being
the lucky country was that we had infinate supplies of
minerals and agricultural products to flog to the
world and life was good bonza beauty ripper g'day mate
she'll be right get a dog up ya.  What it failed to
address was that these resources would dry up
eventually and that white Australia has a dark history
which refused a lot of people any of this luck that
was apparently floating around. That is why it became
a catch cry to social commentators like the Oils.

 --- Beth Curran <bcurran@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > I
just saw another Oz email address or Web site or
> something like that
> that had "Lucky Country" in it, which made me recall
> that over the years
> I've seen several non-Oils refs to Oz as Lucky
> Country.  Is that
> Oils-derived, or was that a tag phrase before the
> Oils used it?  Like
> "Godzone," which, by the way, I've never been sure
> how to spell. - Beth

=====
By order of the Dark Shadow.