Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] re the futue

Heidi Shenk nedkellytheking@hotmail.com
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:44:58 -0500

I completely respect Pete's decision to focus on other things...especially
if that means spending more time with his family.  Not that this is on the
same caliber as the Oils, but my dad (who is about the same age as Pete) was
in a band from the time I was born until I was in third grade.  He just now
started to play again with his old band mates after I left this fall and
went to college.  He took a 10 year break from what used to be constant
gigging.  I was lucky that he acted as the stay at home dad while my mom
worked during the day before I started kindergarten, but once I was in
elementary school I didn't see him much because he was gigging about 4
nights out of the week and a lot of family outings never happened because my
dad had a last minute gig.  I'd often try to wait up for him to come home,
but with no success because I'd fall asleep long before he got home.
Whether it's on an international or local scale, I can tell you first hand
that it's not the best situation for a kid to grow up in.  Don't get me
wrong...I absolutely loved it when my dad was in a band and I'm glad that's
he's starting to gig again, but I'm also glad that he decided to take those
10 years off.  I don't know what I would have done if he wouldn't have taken
that 10 year break.  There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes than
what people know just by watching musicians play at concerts...and there's
plenty of stories of things I could tell you all that weren't the best
situations for a little kid to be in.  I think most people don't look at
this kind of thing from the family's point of view and often get caught up
in the idea that being a muso is glamorous.  So with that said...if I was
one of Pete's daughters, I'd want him home too.

Heidi