Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] So we're all basically in (dis)agreement

gfmcdowell@getatlas.com gfmcdowell@getatlas.com
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:15:34 -0500

Hi all,

It seems to me that all the recent debate over Pete and his place in
the band boils down to this:

1.  Many people have been drawn in by Peter's voice (or "antics"),
since it was something very distinct from other singers.  But most
have *stayed* because of the fantastic music and lyrics.  I know I'm
quite fond of their integrity, as well.  Probably not alone.

2.  Peter seems to have been a focus of stress within the band
because of his ego, intense demands on his time, or egos of the other
band members.  I'm willing to give them *all* the benefit of the
doubt.  There's at least five sides to this story.

3.  Pete probably didn't write *every* word he sang, and maybe very
little of the music, either.  Personally, I think the singer doesn't
have to write *all* the lyrics to make it work for me.  Or know how
to write complex music for instruments he/she doesn't play.  If there
are any issues with the songwriting credits, I'd say that's probably
an internal band matter.  But these guys all seem pretty reputable to
me, so I doubt there's anything too fishy going on.

4.  There may be some residual resentment (both from fans and band
members) about Peter's departure and/or the amount of focus on this
event as THE END OF MIDNIGHT OIL.  I can understand that.  These
other guys have put in a helluva lot of brilliant work and would
probably like it if their contributions weren't so casually
disregarded (by the media, etc.).

5.  We all hope that the other four highly talented members of the
band will continue to make music together.  I'm pretty sure about
that...

slainte,
Gerry McDowell