Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Band Members Leaving

David Quirk davidquirkoils@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:28:47 -0400

There have been a few posts about whether Peter's voice is the main part of
the band etc...one thing is for sure though, he cannot be replaced and while
I hope we see some new music soon, it clearly would not be as "Midnight Oil"
without Peter.

My question was a general one relating to the rest...suppose it was one of
the other 4 who wanted to leave and Peter was staying in the band, would the
band have "replaced" them and continued as Midnight Oil? They have clearly
done this in the past, replacing both Andrew James and then Peter Gifford as
bass players. It would be easy to say that perhaps if Bones left, they could
get another bass player but I think that Bones is perhaps a more integral
part of the band than either of the other bassists they had - he has more
solo singing parts and has been there the longest.

So I suppose I am asking what the feeling is on the list if they would have
continued with any of the other members leaving. My thoughts are that due to
the songwriting, Rob and Jim would have been the hardest to replace but
clearly the other members could have filled the void and contributed more in
this area. On Capricornia, for example, Jim wrote almost everything, so if
Rob had decided to leave, they could have filled this void I think. Through
Rob's comments, they certainly want to continue together in some form and I
think that had it been someone else leaving, they may have replaced them and
tried to continue.

Personally, I could not imagine them with Peter singing and one of the
others missing. Bones is perhaps the only one who is a possibility but
really only because he has been there the shortest amount of time. Even
though Martin does not write many of the songs, his contributions with his
guitar certainly would be missed. However, if the choice was for the band to
split up, or to replace someone who left and continue, my vote would be for
replacing...something is better than nothing. Also, there have been may
occasions with bands over time where key members have been left and have
been replaced without too much fuss.

Just thought I would throw it out there...

David