Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] music magazines

Heidi Shenk nedkellytheking@hotmail.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:35:33 -0600

I'm not at all surprised that Rolling Stone has given little attention to
the fact that something in the real music world even happened.  RS, which
used to be a somewhat decent/controversial piece of journalism, has gone
extremely downhill in the past several years. As far as I'm concerned, the
magazine has gone from a rock and roll magazine filled with not only great
musicians, but other important issues such as the environment and politics
and has turned into more of a tabloid dedicated to people that aren't even
worthy of the title "musician" (a.k.a. Britney Spears, N'Sync, Jenifer Love
Hewitt.)  Recently, I decided on a whim to buy one of their magazines in
hope that it may have improved a bit.  Instead I was disappointed as usual
and even a bit angry when I read a small column entitled "Excellent
Australians" in which Midnight Oil was credited with only two sentences
focused on the album D&D and the single Beds Are Burning.  I was glad to
finally see something that I felt like reading in an issue of Rolling Stone,
but at the same time disappointed that they didn't focus on any other aspect
of the Oils than D&D...afterall there is so much more to the Oils than Beds
Are Burning.