Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils and Land Mines

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:47:56 -0500 (EST)

--0-944413642-1046299676=:22900

Greetings Diggers,

Does anybody know if the Oils have been active in the campaign to de-mine the world? Or if any of their songs deal with landmines? It's Landmine Awareness Week, and we had guests into our class to talk to the kids, show vids, etc. It was an eye opener, and it struck me as the kind of thing the Oils would take to heart. I know they've worked with Emmy Lou, and it's one of her passions, but I can't recall off hand if they've ever sung about it?

Actually, if any of you know of any bands or artists that have written about this issue or related stuff, could you let me know? I'd love to plug it into our curriculum if possible. Today we had class in the theatre and took up Sometimes (Imperialism), Dreamworld (Industrialization) and Blue Sky Mining (Exploitation) on a 30 foot screen. The kids love it, and I've noticed a lot of lurching and gesticulating in the halls lately. I'm trusting they're getting beyond the physical. Can't help feeling that PG would be amused.   ;)

Thanks and best wishes,

bruce in calgary

--0-944413642-1046299676=:22900

<P>Greetings Diggers,</P>
<P>Does anybody know if the Oils have been active in the campaign to de-mine the world? Or if any of their songs deal with landmines? It's Landmine Awareness Week, and we had&nbsp;guests into our class to talk to the kids, show vids, etc. It was an eye opener, and it struck me as the kind of thing the Oils would take to heart. I know they've worked with Emmy Lou, and it's one of her passions, but I can't recall off hand if they've ever sung about it?</P>
<P>Actually, if any of you know of any bands or artists that have written about this issue or related stuff, could you let me know? I'd love to plug it into our curriculum if possible. Today we had class in the theatre and took up Sometimes (Imperialism), Dreamworld (Industrialization) and Blue Sky Mining (Exploitation) on a 30 foot screen. The kids love it, and I've noticed a lot of lurching and gesticulating in the halls lately. I'm trusting&nbsp;they're getting beyond the physical. Can't help&nbsp;feeling that PG would be amused.&nbsp;&nbsp; ;)</P>
<P>Thanks and best wishes,</P>
--0-944413642-1046299676=:22900--