Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] How Can You Cover Variety?

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:25:52 -0500

Not sure I would call King of the Mountain particularly angst-ridden....

When I get asked, I usually tell people that Oils songs make you think,
often about things you'd rather not be reminded of.

This is as good a reason as any for their relative lack of popularity
among the masses <insert chagrined half-smile here> What is the
collective IQ of MO?  I think there's a dreadful pun or other
low-quality joke there somewhere, but I can't seem to dig it up at the
moment - Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of ALEXEI
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 9:06 AM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: [Powderworks] How Can You Cover Variety?

Interesting... So far, with the exception of Jimmy Sharman's Boxers and
Basement Flat, everybody spoke in favor of essentially one same type of
the
Oils' music.  Lucky Country, Truganini, Read About It, King of the
Mountain,
to me, were generated by the feelings of angst, dissatisfaction, you
name it.
They also fall into one category music-wise.  Is this what the Oils will
be
always remembered for in the first place?

If I ever had to decide what Oils' song to cover, I would start looking
at my
own band first.  Oils left behind enough material to quelch virtually
any
band's search for music to cover...

Alexei