Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils Away...

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:02:07 -0500

I'm sitting here, cradling my autographed BSM windmill EP, tumbling it in
my hands.  Rob and Martin on one side, Bones and Jim on the other.  I am on
deadline, putting together two research proposals in environmental public
health - one of which is entirely their fault.

I cannot put my hands to the keyboard to outline the stronger one, the one
that fits the request for projects so well, the one I am throwing my heart
and soul at, the one that involves the story of a community and a polluter
and handwringing state officials hiding conclusively behind inadequate
science without listening to my brain background music queue up "they're
crossing their fingers they pay the truthmakers" pop up in my head.  I
can't type without thinking about the people I now know who live in that
area.  It is my grand vision to make public health analysis more possible
with improved computers and public access tools and the incorporation of
lay-led research and discovery data - and this dream is all coming together
around those two degrees of separation between my ranting on Powderworks
and a rugged little river valley with a big nuclear health problem.

I will set the EP down now, right in front of the monitor, and type on into
the night.

p.s. Did anyone else pull out Red Sails when UN Weapons Inspector Hans Blix
told Iraq that it was "Minutes to Midnight"?