Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC - The Hip

KATHY GEDLER avesrun@msn.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:07:00 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C361D6.74F36670

At least you got to see the hip.  My wife and I went to watch the Hip =
when they opened up for Page and Plant in Minneapolis. The Hip didn't =
show because the birth in the family of one of the band members. There =
was no announcement, just a change of artist. (Instead we got a solo =
male accompanying himself with a synthesizer/keyboard.) We had a long =
drive home and didn't even stay for Page and Plant, we were so upset.  =
Probably not a really smart move... We are awaiting another hip album of =
the fully completely caliber.
Tim
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Schultz=20
  To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 3:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [Powderworks] NMOC - The Hip

  Hi Curtis,

  I've seen them three times, all on the ARA tours '93, '95 & '97. All =
times I=20
  thought they were awesome.
  But I guess it shows that I'm not a huge fan, as I've never paid to =
see them=20
  when it's just them on the bill - but I do this for very few larger =
bands,=20
  more cause of my thin bankroll than anything else (Wilco a couple =
months=20
  back & R.E.M. this Sept will be rare $20+ concert indulgences.)
  I never heard anyone before tell me of Gord doing the same rants over =
and=20
  over again, but probably cause people who follow them are slavish fans =
(&=20
  they did used to have a lot of these). They seem to have stalled =
musically,=20
  or maybe more properly gone backwards, since trying to broaden on Day =
for=20
  Night and TATHH, and I think the decline in interest in them reflects =
this.=20
  Plus how do you keep the rants sounding fresh as opposed to just =
histronics?
  Mind you, I know many people who saw them at last year's Bluesfest =
here in=20
  Ottawa (& I would have too had I been in town), and I'm told they =
still=20
  smoke live! Gord Downie & this backing band put on a good show at this =

  year's edition of the festival, too, btw, which I saw.
  Anyway, I think its safe to say the Hip have way more 'on' than 'off'=20
  nights, and when they are on, they're better than just about any band =
out=20
  there! (Which reminds me, its too bad Moist broke up - I'd never buy a =

  record, but holy mac were they awesome live! Also, yes they're a bit =
silly,=20
  but Sum 41 are great live too. Just try not to crush the 14 yr old =
girls.)

  Cheers,
  Dave

  >From: curtis carter <arcticbstrd@netscape.net>
  >To: powderworks <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
  >Subject: Re: [Powderworks] 10 years already! Clayoquot Sound Protest
  >Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:07:39 -0400
  >
  >Did you see them on that tour????  Maybe it was just their Toronto=20
  >performance, but it was rather subpar..granted i wouldn't ask for my =
money=20
  >back after a full day's festivities and good roster of bands for =
under $35.=20
  >  I might have liked them better had what'shisface -Gord Downie.. not =
done=20
  >the same "Oh my god, this is too trippy, I'm going insane" rant 2 =
nights in=20
  >a row!  it was so lame i lost all respect for them as a live=20
  >performance...that and they never bothered to change their =
setlist..what's=20
  >with that?  So, take some water and deal with that cough.  I was a =
fan of=20
  >their earlier stuff and liked fully completely...but i judge a band =
on=20
  >their live performance...although i have to say that i rather =
sheepishly=20
  >pretended to be a big hip fan when Martin was telling me how great =
their=20
  >Music at work album was at their secret Real Thing gig in July 2000 - =

  >Thanks again for that Krusty.
  >
  >Curtis
  >
  >dschultz29@hotmail.com wrote:
  >
  >>*Cough!*
  >>"The hip sucked on that tour..."
  >>
  >>Now, I'm not a slavish fan, they've gone way down Trouble at the =
Henhouse,=20
  >>but pray tell, how do you figure the Hip sucked on the first ARA =
tour? Cuz=20
  >>even today they are a force to be reckoned with live, and certainly =
with=20
  >>Fully Completely they were right at the peak of their recorded glory =
and=20
  >>had a ton of live energy.
  >>Were you never a fan to begin with? I just have to know...
  >>
  >>Cheers,
  >>Dave

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C361D6.74F36670

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2726.2500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"v" =
/><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" />
<DIV>
<DIV>At least you got to see the hip.&nbsp;&nbsp;My wife and I&nbsp;went =
to=20
watch the Hip when they opened up for Page and Plant in Minneapolis. The =
Hip=20
didn't show because the birth in the family of one of the band=20
members.&nbsp;There was no announcement, just a change of =
artist.&nbsp;(Instead=20
we got a solo male accompanying himself with a synthesizer/keyboard.) We =
had a=20
long drive home and didn't even stay for Page and Plant, we were so =
upset.&nbsp;=20
Probably not a really smart move... We are awaiting another hip album of =
the=20
fully completely caliber.</DIV>
<DIV>Tim</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>From:</B> <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:dschultz29@hotmail.com">Dave Schultz</A> </DIV>
  =
href=3D"mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</=
A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, August 13, =
2003 3:00=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Powderworks] NMOC =
- The=20
  Hip</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Hi Curtis,<BR><BR>I've seen them three times, all on =
the ARA=20
  tours '93, '95 &amp; '97. All times I <BR>thought they were =
awesome.<BR>But I=20
  guess it shows that I'm not a huge fan, as I've never paid to see them =

  <BR>when it's just them on the bill - but I do this for very few =
larger bands,=20
  <BR>more cause of my thin bankroll than anything else (Wilco a couple =
months=20
  <BR>back &amp; R.E.M. this Sept will be rare $20+ concert =
indulgences.)<BR>I=20
  never heard anyone before tell me of Gord doing the same rants over =
and=20
  <BR>over again, but probably cause people who follow them are slavish =
fans=20
  (&amp; <BR>they did used to have a lot of these). They seem to have =
stalled=20
  musically, <BR>or maybe more properly gone backwards, since trying to =
broaden=20
  on Day for <BR>Night and TATHH, and I think the decline in interest in =
them=20
  reflects this. <BR>Plus how do you keep the rants sounding fresh as =
opposed to=20
  just histronics?<BR>Mind you, I know many people who saw them at last =
year's=20
  Bluesfest here in <BR>Ottawa (&amp; I would have too had I been in =
town), and=20
  I'm told they still <BR>smoke live! Gord Downie &amp; this backing =
band put on=20
  a good show at this <BR>year's edition of the festival, too, btw, =
which I=20
  saw.<BR>Anyway, I think its safe to say the Hip have way more 'on' =
than 'off'=20
  <BR>nights, and when they are on, they're better than just about any =
band out=20
  <BR>there! (Which reminds me, its too bad Moist broke up - I'd never =
buy a=20
  <BR>record, but holy mac were they awesome live! Also, yes they're a =
bit=20
  silly, <BR>but Sum 41 are great live too. Just try not to crush the 14 =
yr old=20
  girls.)<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Dave<BR><BR>&gt;From: curtis carter &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:arcticbstrd@netscape.net">arcticbstrd@netscape.net</A>&gt;=
<BR>&gt;To:=20
  powderworks &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</=
A>&gt;<BR>&gt;Subject:=20
  Re: [Powderworks] 10 years already! Clayoquot Sound =
Protest<BR>&gt;Date: Tue,=20
  12 Aug 2003 19:07:39 -0400<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Did you see them on that=20
  tour????&nbsp; Maybe it was just their Toronto <BR>&gt;performance, =
but it was=20
  rather subpar..granted i wouldn't ask for my money <BR>&gt;back after =
a full=20
  day's festivities and good roster of bands for under $35. =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp; I=20
  might have liked them better had what'shisface -Gord Downie.. not done =

  <BR>&gt;the same "Oh my god, this is too trippy, I'm going insane" =
rant 2=20
  nights in <BR>&gt;a row!&nbsp; it was so lame i lost all respect for =
them as a=20
  live <BR>&gt;performance...that and they never bothered to change =
their=20
  setlist..what's <BR>&gt;with that?&nbsp; So, take some water and deal =
with=20
  that cough.&nbsp; I was a fan of <BR>&gt;their earlier stuff and liked =
fully=20
  completely...but i judge a band on <BR>&gt;their live =
performance...although i=20
  have to say that i rather sheepishly <BR>&gt;pretended to be a big hip =
fan=20
  when Martin was telling me how great their <BR>&gt;Music at work album =
was at=20
  their secret Real Thing gig in July 2000 - <BR>&gt;Thanks again for =
that=20
  Krusty.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Curtis<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;dschultz29@hotmail.com=20
  wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;*Cough!*<BR>&gt;&gt;"The hip sucked on that=20
  tour..."<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Now, I'm not a slavish fan, they've =
gone way=20
  down Trouble at the Henhouse, <BR>&gt;&gt;but pray tell, how do you =
figure the=20
  Hip sucked on the first ARA tour? Cuz <BR>&gt;&gt;even today they are =
a force=20
  to be reckoned with live, and certainly with <BR>&gt;&gt;Fully =
Completely they=20
  were right at the peak of their recorded glory and <BR>&gt;&gt;had a =
ton of=20
  live energy.<BR>&gt;&gt;Were you never a fan to begin with? I just =
have to=20
  =
know...<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Cheers,<BR>&gt;&gt;Dave<BR><BR>___________=