Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] VLMOC: anti-Americanism, so-called

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:42:03 -0400 (EDT)

--0-44764324-1050504123=:51806

Greetings Fellow Dwellers in Place,
God bless you a thousand times over Kate. That's exactly what counts. How do we live in light of the Oils music and message. (ah, the guilt never ceases.) For some, these guys are just another rock band - and a fine one at that. For others they crystallize a lot of stuff that matters. Local resistance. Sustainable living is local living. I hear so much in the Oils that preaches this gospel ~ especially on Capricornia. Thank you so much for saying it so eloquently....keep the faith.
cheers,
bruce in calgary
"I pray and I hope that someone's there
 to drink from this soak,
 In the town where I hit the ground..."
 Kate Parker Adams <kate@dnki.net> wrote:At 06:50 PM 4/15/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>On the Oils being anti-American, aren't we more interested in
>understanding what the Oils are FOR? I'm no rocket surgeon, but figuring
>out what's wrong with the world comes pretty easy to me, and I assume most
>of us. 'Where do we go from here' would be a more pressing - and
>promising - question IMO.

I think this also ties into the whole boycott thread ... misguided and not
terribly constructive in a global sense.

If you listen to Pete's rantings and read his website, there is much that
he has to say about sustainability, about the web of life, about
precaution. Much of that starts with making the choice to buy local
products and from local merchants whenever you possibly can.

I bought several items today that were made in America, and the important
thing about all of them was that they were purchased from local
merchants. Instead of going to the McDonald's in the food court in the
hospital area, I bought from the food co-op and the local ice-cream
truck. Got my organic fair trade coffee from a local coffee house (with a
free coupon from the fiery and hip little local free paper no less!)
instead of being patronized by a latte ventil barristro pretentiomonium at
Starbuquitous a block away . I bought bike inner tubes from a local bike
shop, not from a corporate bigbox - they won't give me a massbike member
discount anyway. I paid the mortgage at the local bank that holds our loan
in portfolio five years after we moved in (rare - usually, mortgages are
sold fast), and made a deposit at my credit union. I did all of this while
commuting to and from work on a bike.

Given corporate hegemony in certain areas, it simply isn't possible to
totally avoid the merchandising machine. But you don't have to make a
perfection campaign out of it, you just have to realise that sometimes you
have choices, and that buying locally benefits your community and buying
local goods is usually a vastly more sustainable choice due to the
environmental costs of transit alone.

Ken Geiser, a mentor of mine at the Lowell Center for Sustainable
Production, has been on a positivist kick as of late, urging all and sundry
to think of how the future should look and work toward policies and
practices that make it so rather than simply fight a multi-front, never
ending battle against _____. As hard as that is in the current climate,
I think I am attracted to Ken's teachings for the same reasons that I am
attracted to the Oil's messages. It is not about fighting bad guys - its
about building a better world for all and making it last.

Just my $0.02,
Kate

---------------------------------

--0-44764324-1050504123=:51806

<DIV>
<P>Greetings Fellow Dwellers in Place,
<P>God bless you a thousand times over Kate. That's exactly what counts. How do we live in light of the Oils music and message. (ah, the guilt never ceases.) For some, these guys are just another rock band - and a fine one at that. For others they crystallize a lot of stuff that matters. Local resistance. Sustainable living is local living. I hear so much in the Oils that preaches this gospel ~ especially on Capricornia. Thank you so much for saying it so eloquently....keep the faith.
<P>cheers,
<P>bruce in calgary
<P><EM>"I pray and I hope that someone's there</EM>
<P><EM>&nbsp;to drink from this soak,</EM>
<P><EM>&nbsp;In the town where I hit the ground..."</EM>
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Kate Parker Adams &lt;kate@dnki.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">At 06:50 PM 4/15/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:<BR>&gt;On the Oils being anti-American, aren't we more interested in <BR>&gt;understanding what the Oils are FOR? I'm no rocket surgeon, but figuring <BR>&gt;out what's wrong with the world comes pretty easy to me, and I assume most <BR>&gt;of us. 'Where do we go from here' would be a more pressing - and <BR>&gt;promising - question IMO.<BR><BR>I think this also ties into the whole boycott thread ... misguided and not <BR>terribly constructive in a global sense.<BR><BR>If you listen to Pete's rantings and read his website, there is much that <BR>he has to say about sustainability, about the web of life, about <BR>precaution. Much of that starts with making the choice to buy local <BR>products and from local merchants whenever you possibly can.<BR><BR>I bought several items today that were made in America, and the important <BR>thing about all of them was that they were purchased from local <BR>merchants. Instead of going to the McDonald's in the food court in the <BR>hospital area, I bought from the food co-op and the local ice-cream <BR>truck. Got my organic fair trade coffee from a local coffee house (with a <BR>free coupon from the fiery and hip little local free paper no less!) <BR>instead of being patronized by a latte ventil barristro pretentiomonium at <BR>Starbuquitous a block away . I bought bike inner tubes from a local bike <BR>shop, not from a corporate bigbox - they won't give me a massbike member <BR>discount anyway. I paid the mortgage at the local bank that holds our loan <BR>in portfolio five years after we moved in (rare - usually, mortgages are <BR>sold fast), and made a deposit at my credit union. I did all of this while <BR>commuting to and from work on a bike.<BR><BR>Given corporate hegemony in certain areas, it simply isn't possible to <BR>totally avoid the merchandising machine. But you don't have to make a <BR>perfection campaign out of it, you just ha
--0-44764324-1050504123=:51806--