Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] weirdest Oils song

Anna Offler aoffler@iprimus.com.au
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:04:01 +0930

Oh yeah. RSITS is a bit of a contrast to me. Some great stuff especially
Kosc and JSB. But then some definitely weird stuff like bells and horns that
I find hard to get into .
2 songs on the Cemetery single are definitely weird. Heaven and Earth and
Devilfish Shuffle especially the latter. That has Floyd overtones in some
places.
Mind you some stuff on Breathe like Star of Hope took a little getting used
to.
Lew and Anna

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Dave Schultz
Sent: Tuesday, 15 April 2003 2:10 PM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] weirdest Oils song

Hey all,

I'd agree with most of the suggestions so far, especially the original one -
'Somebody's...' always struck me as a weird one, but in a cool, hypnotic
way. 'I'm the Cure' has, since my first listen, also stood out from the rest
of their material. Oils at their most punk.
But I gotta defend 'Shipyards'! That song has always been a fave of mine
("chasing history, I left home" -what an evocative lyric). Along w/
'Burnie', I think of it as one of the first of their more sentimental &/or
introspective songs that became more common from BSM on ('One Country',
'Antarctica', 'In the Valley', etc.)

Cheers,                            Dave

>From: "Cheryl H" <ooiiilllss@hotmail.com>
>

>Bakerman is definitely weird.  but if you're looking for spooky, I'll say
>Shipyards Of New Zealand.  disclamer:  just my opinion.  I thought this
>thread seemed kinda fun ;)
>
>Cheryl
>

>>From: "Heidi Shenk" <nedkellytheking@hotmail.com>
>>To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
>>Subject: [Powderworks] weirdest Oils song
>>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:44:52 -0500
>>
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>I was listening to all of my Oils songs on random (this includes all
>>bootlegs and albums and everything) this weekend and one song that kept on
>>coming on was 'Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something.'  I started to
>>think about it and I think that I'd have to vote that the weirdest Oils
>>song ever.  The chorus..."somebody's out there somebody's waiting..." is
>>probably what freaks me out a bit.  Sometimes I wonder where they even got
>>the idea to write such an undescribably weird song.  But none the less I
>>still like it because I don't think there is one Oils song I don't like.
>>Anyways...I was just wondering what other people thought was by far the
>>weirdest Oils that they have ever heard and why.
>>
>>Heidi
>>

>>'Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone,
>>I must know something to know it's so wrong'
>>                    -Midnight Oil

---