Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] LMOC: Rob Hirst at children's achievement awards

Rhonda kayak@sympatico.ca
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:36:25 -0400

Just found this in the Northern Rivers Echo Newspaper (Lismore) online....
Lynne Carr and Maria Kelly at the awards launch this week.
of family and friends to help him achieve his dreams. When he decided to
give up an arts/law degree at university and a
he was amazed by the support from his dad.
he went off to war," Rob said. He wanted to pursue his dream, and Midnight
Oil never gave up on their dream &shy; even if it took them more than two
decades to become an 'overnight success'.
family showed the ultimate sign of love and support. I was really privileged,"
he said.
recognise the support and efforts of young people, Rob said he thought
it was much harder now for young people, especially when it comes to support
systems.
makes it harder to achieve your dream. The Kids in Community Awards play
a vital role in recognising and supporting young people," he said.
community support, indigenous youth support, homeless youth support, against
all odds, mentor or role model, and community or individual supporting
youth or youth programs.
inspiring to all.
what "good" is happening in our community and how many young people are
involved in positive efforts and projects," she said.
for us to recognise the effort these younger people exert and give them
every support. Secondly, any money raised from sponsorship for staging
these awards in excess of our needs is spread among community groups throughout
the region. Over the past two years the KIC Awards have enabled approximately
$10,000 to be donated to five community groups," Mrs Carr said.
forms will appear in The Echo in coming weeks.
June 24. Details on the Awards are available from Lynne Carr 6625 1195.