Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: University of Western Australia--World Champions

Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant v-morant@onu.edu
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:21:45 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0454_01C2FEE6.676E99F0

Well, as usual, I wind up getting busy and pay very little attention to =
the List for some time, but I have kept myself subscribed, and I'm =
popping back now to make a brief announcement of some very nice news =
related to Australia.

Once again this spring the International Law Students Association hosted =
the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition in =
Washington, D.C., which it was my pleasure to host it.  Yet again we =
were sent a couple of excellent teams from Australia.  The University of =
Western Australia did very well, as always, and in fact this year they =
won the competition.  The final round was held last Saturday, and =
Western Australia took first place (out of almost eighty teams from =
around the world), and Benjamin Spagnolo from Western Australia took the =
award for Best Oralist in the Championship Round.  His teammate Imogen =
Saunders took the top prize for Best Oralist for her work in the =
Preliminary Rounds of the competition.

Last year Western Australia made the final round and took second place =
team and best oralist, and they have always been a formidable and =
award-winning team in the Jessup Competition.

In one of the run-off or quarter-final rounds a couple of days before =
the final, I noticed in the draw of teams that Western Australia and =
Queensland had drawn to go against each other (Western Australia, of =
course, won that round and advanced), and so I chose to be the baliff in =
that round.  Something about the calmness and eloquence of the legal =
advocates that come from down under: the competition was excellent, and =
the Aussies really showed their stuff on both sides.

Anyway, just felt like mentioning that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

-Virgil.

Virgil T. Morant
President & CEO
International Law Students Association
Washington, D.C.
v-morant@onu.edu
------=_NextPart_000_0454_01C2FEE6.676E99F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Well, as usual, I wind up getting =
busy and pay=20
very little attention to the List for some time, but I have kept myself=20
subscribed, and I'm popping back now to make a brief announcement of =
some very=20
nice news related to Australia.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Once again this spring the =
International Law=20
Students Association hosted the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot =
Court=20
Competition in Washington, D.C., which it was my pleasure to host=20
it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yet again we were sent a couple of excellent teams from=20
Australia.&nbsp; The University of Western Australia did very well, as =
always,=20
and in fact this year they won the competition.&nbsp; The final round =
was held=20
last Saturday, and Western Australia took first place (out of almost =
eighty=20
teams from around the world), and Benjamin Spagnolo from Western=20
Australia&nbsp;took the award for Best Oralist in the Championship =
Round.&nbsp;=20
His teammate Imogen Saunders took the top prize for Best Oralist for her =
work in=20
the Preliminary Rounds of the competition.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Last year Western Australia made the =
final=20
round and took second place team&nbsp;and best oralist, and they have =
always=20
been a formidable and award-winning team in the Jessup =
Competition.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">In one of the run-off or =
quarter-final rounds=20
a couple of days before the final, I noticed in the draw of =
teams&nbsp;that=20
Western Australia and Queensland had drawn to go against each other =
(Western=20
Australia, of course, won that round and advanced), and so I chose to be =
the=20
baliff in that round.&nbsp; Something about the calmness and eloquence =
of the=20
legal advocates that come from down under: the competition was =
excellent, and=20
the Aussies really showed their stuff on both sides.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Anyway, just felt like mentioning=20
that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">We now return you to your regularly =
scheduled=20
programming.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">-Virgil.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Virgil T. Morant<BR>President &amp;=20
CEO<BR>International Law Students Association<BR>Washington, D.C.<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:v-morant@onu.edu">v-morant@onu.edu</A></FONT></DIV></BODY>=
</HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0454_01C2FEE6.676E99F0--