Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC raging against the world

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 07:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Glitch <sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net>
wrote:
> Sorry, Beth, humankind is NOT essentially good

Without starting a religious flame war I have to take
issue with you Glitch.  I tend to look for the best in
people and I see it all the time.  I see people
volunteering their time helping others in need.  I see
people giving up high paying corporate jobs to lend
their expertise to a struggling non-profit (not me,
but then again I don't have a high paying job either).
 In my local congregation, when there is someone in
need, everyone pitches in and helps out and frequently
the first to volunteer are the people with the least
to spare.
Yes, there are more than a few creeps (and worse than
creeps) out there but that doesn't make me give up
hope on the rest of mankind.  Everyone is essentially
self centered to some degree but I think that everyone
has some sort of light in their eyes.  Some extinguish
it and some kindle it brighter.  There are a zillion
factors to explain why and I don't really want to get
into that debate again either.  Just don't condemn the
entire human race based on the actions of a relatively
small number of us.  I feel very sorry for you (I'm
trying to be empathetic, not judgmental here) if you
have truly given up on humanity.  We generally end up
finding what we seek. If you look for the worst,
you'll certainly find it.  If you look for the best, I
think you'll be pleasantly surprised.