Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What lyrics!

Seth Cooper cooperseth@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 04:33:39 +0000

What a strange convergence of themes for me today.  I was just thinking of a
post a few days ago about Springsteen's Nebraska and how it gave the poster
chills.  Nebraska is one of my favorite albums, and the title track always
gives me chills.  The song is beautifully written and delivered in the spare
immediate style the Bruce has, and basically is about a man guilty of casual
and abject killings.  Sitting on death row his answer to why he did it (and
the last line of the song) is - "Well sir, I guess there's just a meaness to
this world"

Beth is raging against a world that creates captial punishment, I am raging
against a world that produces the people we sentence to death.  I don't
believe in god anymore, but sometimes I wish I could believe in the devil,
it would give me someone to blame.