Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What lyrics!

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:56:53 -0400 (EDT)

--- GrnVillageGirl@aol.com wrote:

> Rock and roll is (at its best) about emotion, and
> the vocal delivery of
> lyrics can mean so much more than anything that's
> written down.

~snip~

Bang on. If you like blues or jazz, 'moaning' can be
intensely meaningful. And scat? I guess warnings about
'questionable' lyrics on rap records kind of miss the
point then, eh?

> Melody, in particular, hits us in the primeval part
> of the brain,

Which may or may not be hardwired to certain other
unmentionable regions...

> much as fragrance does (see: Proust and his
> madeleines).

hmmm. Cool analogy. So some music really does stink ;)

> but the entire tale isn't told in the words.

Or the notes, or even the delivery itself. The whole
is somehow more than the sum of its parts.

> And finally, "She loves you, yeah yeah yeah."
> (repeat twice)

Wasn't it Homer Simpson who said: "Repeat...always
repeat..." That must be the key.

Amen and thanks for the insight GVG - great post.
After all, we'd have to throw ourselves at the feet of
Calliope herself and beg for mercy if some of the
shite posted to this list ever came up for critical
review...

It strikes me as a bit off colour to trash U2 (or the
Oils) for their choice of words in expressing musical
ideas, especially when those words will find or create
their own meaning in any number of ways in any number
of heads and/or bodies

bruce in calgary

"The best roads of all
Are the ones that aren't certain