Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (NMOC) Canadian Celebrities

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:09:09 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> The article I read said a bunch of Icelandic
> historians unearthed a hut that was Snorri's, and it
> was definitely in Iceland. His family is alleged to
> have done very well exploiting material brought back
> from Vinland - sounds familiar, eh? - and thus his
> 'hut' was palatial, insofar as a stone and sod hut can
> be anything other than cold and damp. It looked like
> pictures of the structures at L'Anse Meadows. Anyway,
> these historians and archaelogists were all worked up,
> my gawd, toasting and carrying on as only a bunch of
> Nordic ex-Newfies could - a regular SNORR-fest, my old
> son - and all in the public library or some such
> place. I immediately rang up my buddy from St. John's
> and we had a good laugh.

Well, only Snorri himself was an ex-newf...  Anyway, if he struck it rich,
I'm not suprised he wound up back in Iceland, which was a older and more
lavish colony than Greenland.  Vikings kept returning to Labrador (they
called it Markland) long after the Vinland colony was abandoned to harvest
timber, so I guess it's not suprising the one Viking born in the colony
would wind up in such a trade...

Mike