Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] It took the most powerful rock band in the world to save my...

Powdworker@aol.com Powdworker@aol.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:50:30 EDT

--part1_16e.142d5ab5.2abf8716_boundary

In a message dated 9/21/02 7:43:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsmacdonaldjr@yahoo.com writes:

> But, short of them, who does?  Who can be our cultural poet?  Who can bring
> our
> romantic places, our dreamy lands, into their proper significance?  Who can
> transcend for us?
>
> I love Midnight Oil because I feel like I can touch Australia in a way that
> isn't
> just kangaroos and boomerangs, and I feel they can touch my yearning for
> alternative
> culture here.  But, who is there to draw attention?  Who can reach the soul
> of our
> lands the way Midnight Oil reaches the soul of their lands?
>
> Isn't there also a different America out there?  I don't mean in a
> nationalistic
> sense; I mean in a transcendent sense.  Isn't there something in our lands
> and in
> our native heritage that gives us enough wonder, enough curiosity, enough
> empathy,
> that we want to reach out and embrace it and each other?

Wow, I am really glad to read this discussion!!!

I too am a Unitarian Universalist who has loved Midnight Oil since the
"Diesel & Dust" era (which was actually before I became a UU). I've been on
this list since 1996 but mostly lurk nowadays.

I agree that there is "another America" out there in the transcendent sense
... the problem is how to reach them. We Americans (through our Congress,
Federal Communications Commission, market forces, etc.) have let the radio
industry and the recording industry consolidate their ownership and
homogenize the sounds we hear to an unprecedented degree. And they just don't
let in "rock the boat" groups anymore.

A few years ago, my congregation had a student minister who really liked
Midnight Oil but had no idea the band was still producing albums (this was
around the time RW came out in Australia). Multiply that by all the people
who liked/bought D&D. They ARE out there ... I feel it in my bones....

Back to lurking, but keep in touch!

Peace,
Patty in Maryland

--part1_16e.142d5ab5.2abf8716_boundary