Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bedlam Bridge Interpretation

Brian Jacobs suncrush@lycos.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:44:37 +1200

Woohoo!  The monthly Bedlam Bridge discussion!

BB is one of those songs where everyone seems to construct their own meaning.  Many of the people here with a Christian bent see the man on the bridge as Jesus.

Brian

---
It's the rhythm of the sea
Lost islands of hope
It's the rhythm of the sea
Who will discover you?
     --Midnight Oil "Now or Never Land"

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:09:22
 Rusty Shock wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I was just listening to Bedlam Bridge and I wonder if anyone has the same take on it that I do.
>It seems to me that the man on Bedlam Bridge is a very ominous, threatening figure.  He might even be the same as the man who "wears the matching suit, steel tipped shoes and the diamonds" from Is It Now?
>
>Could Bedlam Bridge be the bridge between sanity and madness?  Could the "man who makes no enemies" be the one to guide you from one side to the other?  And could "drive the engines harder, turn the engines over" be referring to society's relentless drive toward insanity and ruin, "crossing over" Bedlam Bridge?
>
>Just a thought.
>
>Rusty

Play the Elvis® Scratch & Win for your chance to instantly win $10,000 Cash
- a 2003 Harley Davidson® Sportster® - 1 of 25,000 CD's - and more!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail_scratch_tl/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020801/index.asp?tc=7087