Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bedlam Bridge Interpretation

Cheryl H ooiiilllss@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:11:48 -0400

From: Bruce Robertson <the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca>
To: Rusty Shock <rustyshock@alltel.net>
CC: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu, rustyshock@alltel.net
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Bedlam Bridge Interpretation
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:38:02 -0400 (EDT)

'Body never breathless' and 'city on a hill' surface images of the church

I just listened to the Blue Sky Mining interview disc and I'd like to quote
Rob and Peter directly -

Rob -
"There's a bridge in New York which looks uncannily like our famous Sydney
Harbour Bridge...and when we got to New York I took that Circle Line, you
can go around Manhattan Island, you can see incredible wealth and also
incredible poverty of New York, all in a little microchasm...During the
Reagan years...was a great time for winners and America is about winners,
they don't quite tolerate losers well, but of course not everyone can be a
winner, all the losers turn up in the streets.  They're the ones lining up
outside the soup kitchens.  This is not a depression.  Reagan left and he
said in his final speech, 'How stands the city on this winter's night, the
city on the hill?,' and what he was saying was 'what a great place I've left
in my ten years' but talk to those people in New York and they might have a
different answer for you."

Peter -
"'Bedlam Bridge' is, I think, a really evocatave song that talks about the
real differences between what comes out of the mouths of our leaders and the
actual lives that real people are leading and living, and I think that it's
that sort of atmosphere that's really starting to haunt all the big cities
of the world...the history of the world will look back and see us as being
incredibly wealthy and incredibly wasteful.  When you have those sorts of
crazy contradictions you get madness as a result of it, you get human
madness and you get structural madness, and I think that's part of what
'Bedlam Bridge' is about."

Cheryl