Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: This should not be forgotten years (short memory)

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:25:03 -0400

If you have any suggestions for bringing the CIA under democratic control
and congressional oversight, do let us know.  The Honduran democracy
activist/death-squad refugee I used to supervise and I, despite several
pints of beer on a number of occasions, never managed to figure it out.

Like most here I do not deny that the US, past and present, has been
involved in a lot of serious human rights abuses abroad, all under the
general umbrella of "national interest".  Unfortunately, terrorist attacks
seem to bring about auto immune attacks on internal liberties that allow us
to protest and take collective action. They also galvanize those who
support armed response over applying the precautionary principle to foreign
policy analysis, and provide a splendid distraction from the rest of what
goes on (such as what you tell us is going on in Central and South
America).  We also have media that likes to passively report on things
after they happen, because to report things at a time when one could, say,
still call their member of congress would "lack objectivity" as it could
actually influence the outcome of an event!  So much for original
constitutional intent for a free press.

In the meantime, a little quiz for you Escrutador: (no helpers please)

In "The Power and The Passion" the Oils sing "Its better to die on your
feet than to live on your knees".  This was not an original quote.  To whom
may the original quote be attributed?

One person, doing the best I can, thoroughly fatigable, seeking liberty and
justice for all
Kate