Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] VCD

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:54:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tribe,

it is hard to say with 100% certainty what the problem is but it
looks like the VCD you got was not copied properly. there is often
confusion about this so I hope this will clarify the issue somewhat.

despite the fact that VCDs appear to be regular data CDs, this is
not entirely true. you can view them in explorer like a regular CD
and you can create perfect copies by simply using the "copy CD"
feature of your burning software (in fact it is the best way) but
what you cannot do is copy the content of the VCD onto your hard
drive and then burn it from there as a regular CD. this is usually
the cause for VCDs that were copied. I am going to call this case
#1.

another source of trouble can be the fact that the .mpg file that
was used to create the VCD was not encoded properly. the VCD
standard requires that the file be in a specific format - i.e.
certain resolution, frame rate, audio, etc. some burning programs
will accept files that do not adhere 100% to the standard. most PCs
will play such VCDs and even some DVDs but then again many will not.
this will apply if the copy you got was created for you from scratch
rather than copied from an existing VCD. I am going to call this
case #2.

to fix the situation you will need a burning software that has a
"create VCD" feature. I use Nero so I know it has it. I also believe
Roxio does. not sure about others. once you have that here is what
you do

1. stick the CD in your PC and navigate to the mpegav folder
2. pick the smallest .dat file you find there

if you have Nero and you think it is case #1 you can stop here skip
to step 5

3. use vcdgeargui (http://www.vcdhelp.com/convertdat.htm) to convert
the dat file to mpg

if you think it is case #1 skip to step 5.

4. use tmpgenc (http://www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm) to re-encode the
file to VCD
5. use a CD burning program that KNOWS how to burns VCDs (I suggest
Nero)
6. see if it plays

you can use the entire process but depending on your software and
what you suspect the case to be you may be able to skip steps.

let me know how you went or if you have more questions

=====
Miron

What happened to this song we once knew so well
Signed promise for moments caught within the spell
I must have waited all my life for this
Moment moment (Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans)