Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What's wrong with you people?

stephen.wood@stockford.net stephen.wood@stockford.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:29:20 +1000

I rarely post to this list, but I just have to speak up at this point.

Firstly it sounds like I am the only fan out there that loves EVERY album
they have done and see it all as trying different things and stretching how
far they can go as musicians and as a band. A band like Creed or Nickelback
can't produce 2 songs that sound different let alone 15 albums. To quote
Peter  Garret, you to evolve as a band or you will just go stale and die.

To those of you talking about how the band "just isn't together" on the
blue album or how they are just trying to play as fast as they can etc.
etc.

How many of you lived in Inner Suburban Australia in the late 70's?

This was the music of the time, and in fact it is this exact style of
playing that won the oils the fiercely loyal following they still have
today.

Really noisy, really bad punk music was the sound of that period, the thing
is the oils did it better than anyone. If they had of gone into a pub in
Sydney or Melbourne and played anything but fast & furious rock, they
probably would not be around right now.

The statement that they 'were just not as together as we know they can be'
is a dumb one. Well der, they had been together 3 years at that point as
compared to 27 years now. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Did you go straight from nappies to college or University, no. It's the
same principle.

Sorry but i am very defensive of the guys that introduced me to what real
music is and i honestly do not mean to offend anybody.

Regards,
Steve.