Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Least favourite Oils album

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:51:50 -0400

I'd have to say that the Blue Album is my least favorite.  They just didn't
quite have the whole package together yet and there is too much 70's guitar
hero wanking not moderated by artistic purpose and the drummer daring the
band to keep up.  They work together so much better now rather than just
show off how fast each of them can play, and that synergy gives their music
a transcendent quality.

I didn't really like either Breathe and Red Sails when I first heard them,
but now they both have so much emotional baggage attached to them I can't
put them entirely down (One very beautiful late summer day last September I
decided to bring Breathe to the office and give it a fresh listen ... and
ended up listening to it while clinging to the subwoofer under my desk - at
the NYC gig I hung on through Common Ground while clinging to Moginie's
monitor).  They both have some incredibly good songs and some inexplicable
rough spots, and I have to admit that Red Sails is probably way over my
head when it comes to understanding Australian history and geography.

At 03:06 PM 9/7/02 +1200, Brian Jacobs wrote:
>I may be opening an ugly can of worms here, but what is your least
>favourite Oils album?
>
>Personally, I have never been able to get into Head Injuries.

Kate Adams
Gradual Student
UMass Lowell
Remember your childhood