Midnight Oil

SV: [Powderworks] 51st State of the US / NMA

Björn Blomquist bjorn.blomquist@mbox301.swipnet.se
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:37:10 +0200

...and I thought that *I* was living in the 51st state of America! :)

Speaking of that, New Model Army sing in their "51st State" about the
"star-sprangled Union Jack".

Do they refer to the Australian flag? I haven't yet found any
information about where the band comes from. UK? If they are Australian
I think I should have known it...

I recently got myself the album "History - the best of NMA" (actually
the same as "The Singles 1985-91") as an introduction to their work.
I like the songs more with each listening, but they sure ain't like The
Oils! One reason may be the poor production (old-fashioned sound) of the
older material, as I prefer the 90's tracks. Maybe it's because the
tracks were supposed to be "comercial" singles that there is not the
musical diversity that you fans have spoken of. Most of the tracks are
straight-forward, quite heavy, rock songs. I must say that I can hear
"sounds like Oils" in it, think "Read about it" and the sound of the
'10-1' album.

/Bjorn