Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] LMOC: One Country or 51st State of the US?

Kathryn Adams kate@dnki.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:57:07 -0400

Its always fascinating to see the differences between the rants in Oz and
PG ranting that goes on elsewhere, particularly the US.

When Pete rants in Australia, there seems to be a lot of declarations of
individuality and the need for cultural autonomy.  When Pete rants on North
American stages, he seems to wander toward internationality, harmony, and
universal respect sorts of themes.  The same broad brush generalities may
be more or less applied to Rob's comments to the press.

Now I recognize that the message gets tailored to the audience, and there
is a strong comfort level factor in the things they say abroad.  What I'm
trying to get a handle on is this:  what distinguishes the "One Country"
internationalist sentiments from "51st (52nd,53rd...) State" laments voiced
in Oz?  I know that some important differences lie in the areas of consent
and franchise versus domination and colonization.  But how are the impulses
toward global unity and national autonomy reconciled?

Any insights anybody?  Stories to tell that would flesh this out a bit? It
would be interesting to get multiple Oily data points from different spots
around the globe.