Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] New Australian Dates - NMOC

Tari, Vince fstariv1@NMHG.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:21:02 -0500

> It doesn't mean anything in the US so far as I know, but the
> first thing
> I thought of was, it sounds like the name of a gay bar.  Let me hasten
> to say I don't wanna mess with you rugby types, I used to date a US
> rugger, and they sang the crudest songs imaginable.  I can
> only imagine
> what Oz (i.e, real) ruggers would sing - Beth

funny you should mention that, but the first ever rugby league player to
openly admit he was gay, actually played for Manly.....

the suburb of Manly actually got it's name from Captain Arthur Phillip about
200 years ago. He sailed across Sydney Harbour to Manly, and was greeted
with a hostile & unfriendly group of local aboriginals, whom he described as
having a "manly" fighting spirit with a passion for protecting their land
from intruders...

oh & Manly beach is famous for it's Norfolk Island palms too.....